Laboratory Supply Network is open and operational during the COVID-19 pandemic. You can find updates pertaining to any supply chain issues in this post
Homogenization of Saccharomyces Cultures
Instrument: Bullet Blender® STORM 5
Sample: Budding yeast (S. cerevisiae, S. pombe)
- Pour overnight yeast culture into a 5ML tube.
- Centrifuge culture to yield a cell pellet (1000g for two minutes).
- Completely aspirate the supernatant liquid. Place tube on ice.
- Inspect the volume of the pellet. It should be 0.75ML or less in order to achieve efficient homogenization.
- Add a volume of 0.5mm zirconium oxide beads equal to the volume of cells.
- Add 2 volumes of buffer for every volume of sample.
- Tightly screw the centrifuge tubes closed and place them into the Bullet Blender®.
- Set the speed to 8 and the time to 3 minutes. Press start.
- After the run, remove the tubes from the instrument.
- Visually inspect samples. If homogenization is unsatisfactory, run for another two minutes at speed 9.