Homogenization of Liver Tissue
Instrument: Bullet Blender
Sample: Hepatic Tissue
- Cut liver into appropriately sized pieces for analysis (10mg-300mg).
- OPTIONAL: Wash tissue 3x with ~1mL PBS. Aspirate. NOTE: This step removes external contaminants (blood, etc.).
- Samples 100mg or greater. Place the sample in Red bead lysis kit tube.
- Samples less than 100mg. Place the sample in Pink bead lysis kit tube.
- Alternate protocol step for bulk beads. Place sample in microcentrifuge tube and add beads to the tube. Use a volume of beads equal to the mass of tissue. NOTE: 100mg ≅ 100μ
- Add 0.025mL to 0.6mL buffer (2 volumes of buffer for every volume of sample).
- Close the microcentrifuge tubes.
- Place tubes into the Bullet Blender®.
- Set controls for SPEED 8 and TIME 3 minutes. Press Start.
- After the run, remove tubes from the instrument.
- Visually inspect samples. If homogenization is unsatisfactory, run for another two minutes at the SPEED 9.
- Proceed with your downstream application.