Homogenization of C. elegans
Instrument: Bullet Blender® STORM 5
Sample: Caenorhabditis elegans. May be larval, dauer, or adult.
- Harvest worms from culture plate by washing (either with saline or water) into a 5 ml tube.
- Centrifuge worm suspension at 200-500g for five minutes to yield a pellet under the washing liquid.
- Completely aspirate the supernatant liquid.
- Inspect the volume of the pellet. It should be 0.75 ml or less in order to achieve efficient homogenization.
- Add a volume of 0.5mm zirconium oxide beads equal to the volume of cells.
- Add 2 volumes of buffer for every volume of sample.
- Tightly screw the centrifuge tubes closed and place them into the Bullet Blender®.
- Set speed to 8 and time to 3 minutes. Press start.
- After the run, remove the tubes from the instrument.
- Visually inspect samples, if homogenization is unsatisfactory, run for another two minutes at speed 9.