Ginger Rhizome Homogenization in the Bullet Blender
Instrument: Bullet Blender or Bullet Blender Blue
Sample: Ginger (Zingiber officinale) rhizome
- Cut ginger into long, thin slices of 200 mg or less and place each slice into a microcentrifuge tube.
- Add a volume of 0.9 - 2.0 mm stainless steel bead blend equal to the mass of tissue. A useful guideline is: 100 mg ≅ 100 μl.
- Securely close the microcentrifuge tubes closed and place them into the Bullet Blender®. (Do NOT add buffer yet; you need to grind the ginger rhizome first.)
- Run the Bullet Blender at speed 8 for 4 minutes.
- Remove the samples from the Bullet Blender. The ginger should be coarsely pulverized. If not, run for another three minutes at speed 10.
- Add 2 volumes of buffer to the tubes per mass of sample.
- Securely close the microcentrifuge tubes closed and return them to the Bullet Blender®.
- Run the Bullet Blender at speed 8 for 3 minutes.
- Set the Bullet Blender to a speed of 8 and a run time of 3 minutes. Press start.
- After the run, remove the tubes from the instrument.
- Visually inspect samples, if homogenization is unsatisfactory, run for another 3 minutes at speed 10.